Did you know
- Employees are essentially paid to be healthy in Sweden?
- The average allocation for wellness benefits is about 2,500 SEK per year (1).
- You can use this benefit for yoga classes?
CAN YOU REALLY GET PAID TO PRACTICE YOGA?
I often get the question of whether your employer can really pay for this special hour of relaxation every week? In Sweden the answer is YES!
The term “friskvård” translates to “wellness” or “healthcare” and is used to describe preventative health benefits that employees can receive. As an employee, you can elect what to spend your friskvård on (For example: Yoga!), and then be reimbursed by your company. Also, the benefit is tax-free for companies – so it’s a win-win for everyone!
SWEDES FOCUS ON HEALTH
Over the last few years, there has been an increased focus on health at the workplace, and creating an environment focused on the well-being of employees. Why is that you ask? Take a look at some of the findings from Arbetsmiljöverket’s latest report:
- Sick leave from work due to stress has risen 70% since 2010.
- About 1.000 employers and 2.000 employees know someone who is at risk of taking sick leave due to stress.
- 40% know of someone who is, or has been, stressed at work.
- Women are at a higher risk than men to experience stress at work.
The question is what can we do to prevent stress at work? I can only give you my personal opinion…
MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
From a personal perspective, I worked in a high-stress corporate job for years. What enabled me to stay healthy, focused and productive was my consistent yoga practice. The yoga techniques I learned not only improved my physical well-being, but also provided mindfulness and breathing tools that I could carry with me on the job. Yoga can help in countless ways, but here are a just a few that I can attest to:
- Reduce stress and tension
- Improve concentration and mental focus
- Increase in energy!
- Develop breathing techniques to better handle deadlines and pressure
- Maintain and build muscle strength, flexibility and posture
- Improve overall health and decrease number of sick days
- Happiness 🙂
If you ask me, there are NO excuses for not adding yoga as a part of your weekly routine!
ALLOWANCE EXPIRES SOON!
It is important to know that most yearly allowances expire December 31st and renew January 1st. So, if you haven’t used your allowance this year, what are you waiting for? Come in and try a YOGA class and feel better in your mind and body. What’s stopping you? 🙂
See you on the mat!
Bethany & The Yoga Roots Team
(1) Self-calculated estimate